Thursday, December 1, 2011

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" John Wooden

A thought that has been crossing my mind many times the last few days.
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"
I have had the unique and ever so challenging experience of fulfilling Shakespeare's  proverb;
"t'is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
 I spent merely a short four months with my dear brothers, sisters, and friends at the Honor Academy; but as we all know at the HA, one day is as long as a week, a week as short as three days, three days like a month, and a month passes faster than a week should!  by the end of four months my heart and mind couldn't even agree if it was four months or 2 years. Never the less, it felt like a timeless eternity that I spent with them.  Fighting through the transitions, the drama, the conflict, the PEARL, LTEs, MAN-Fasts, Core Unity, and other unique trials.  Though looking back it seems almost trivial, slight issues, unimportant arguments, pointless disagreements, and small battles in comparison to the sorts we face on the home front.  Though, for those of you who've never experienced the Matrix Effect, being unplugged for a period of time, it would make believing the wars we fight at home and in the rest of our lives nigh unintelligible. However, for those of us who've unplugged once or twice, the fights we experienced while we were together, though petty, brought us together as though in a war.
All of which was to say, that though it was only four months, a mere four months, and yet these kids are some my closest friends!  The first time in over four years that men have been able to claim that spot in my life, and the first time in a long while that people have weaseled their way into my heart to the level at which these kids have.  I say kids, no, they're not kids, there younger than me, by one or two years, but I love them like they were my kids... my girls, daughters and sons, kids I poured into.. they'll soon be turning and pouring into someone else...
My four, very short months, passed me by like a fluttering blink of an eye.  In the midst of it, it felt like eternity unending, but now I struggle to maintain coherent time between events, days, and weeks.. my four months passed me by, quickly, ever so quickly, and it occurs to me that the Italian Satirist Dario Fo was dead on when he wrote "know how to live the time that is given you."
I tried to pour out all I had, however I excused my shortcomings by pleading overworked, tired, and busy.  I didn't take the time to do what was the most important.  I regret not pouring out fully, not giving everything I had.  I tried to dump a little more out my very last day, but one day is all too short for some of what should have been said.
I've learned, through the memories, and the disheartened regrets, I now have grown a little, learned a little, matured a little, and hopefully wont make the same mistake again.... soon.
It's time to make each moment intentional don't you think?
I didn't once expect to be in Texas only the four months, who knows just how long I will be in St. Cloud?  How long will I be here?  Or there when the time comes for me to be there, its tremendous to see that I have such a chance to waste opportunity... not any more.

I have the time, I have the reason, I will be making the time.

Consider this a bit of wisdom learned quite recently.

1 comment:

  1. A lesson well learned, yet many have yet to learn it. Great reminder, TC. When one thinks they've finally pegged something they wished to conquer, they are struck with the realization that they've only touched the surface. That's me, anyway. Once again, thanks for making me think about it.

    ReplyDelete