Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Holy

Some of you know me, and some of you know me well enough to know that for all of my religious zeal, I am not a typical Christian zealot.  The typical zealot will respond to you entirely out of scripture almost as though they have no understanding of where you are coming from, and it might almost seem that, their best intentions not withstanding, they are essentially loveless.. This is not how I do business.  However, that doesn't mean that I discount the value of the scriptures.  I do not.  I am far from that platform.  Now, one thing of the zealots I have always envied is the apparent ability for them to get lost in a moment of worship.  This is something that eludes me.  For better or for worse my mind simply operates at a rapid speed.  Throw in ADD, and now toss a dash of theoretical thought and philosophy. You can walk into a room and be awed by the lights, and the mood, and the sounds, but I walk in and for a few seconds I have already processed the cool lights and mood, the sounds, and now I find myself awed by the physics. I am taken aback by the psychology, and have likely moved into the philosophical by the first five minutes...  The ramifications of this in a context of worship are enormous.  I can start out well intentioned, but I will soon find myself having debated an issue in my head, and the only thing that reminded me of this is the song ended and the next one has begun.  Yet, I also realized I was singing the whole time.  My heart becomes heavy because of this.. I cannot seem to just lose sight of the world in the presence of a God who transcends my four dimensions!  This is a problem for someone who puts the emphasis I do on my relationship with Christ.  However, today... today I saw this happen. My mind has been all over the place today, this weekend, and life is crazy!  But today at worship, we just sang one song.  Condensed it comes out as just these lines.
"King of Glory, have your glory"
"King of Glory, have your glory"
"only one words comes to mind, only one word can describe"
"only one words comes to mind, only one word can describe"
"only one words comes to mind, only one word can describe"
"only one words comes to mind, only one word can describe"
"Holy"
"Holy yeah"
"is the lord God almighty"
This song lasted 20min.  But I was lost in the idea of "Holy"
For the first time in my life, my brain was driven and focused on this one idea, and theres enough inside that one word to occupy my multi-processing brain.
It was a beautiful thing.  I can't stand here and say that a great word from the heavens descended upon me, but I can say when I opened my eyes, half of the room was on the floor... the other half had their eyes closed, and Mr. Olsson was praying out the worship set, it was simply a beautiful moment.

My words at the end, the first utterence out of my mouth... was so articulate, so poetic, the stuff of classical writers... this one word of repute and import, this one syllable of academic prowess, was simply and understatedly

....... "wow"........

1 comment: